Facebook, since its creation, has held a crucial role in the development and growth of social media. From its humble beginnings in a student dorm room to its purchase of other social media competitors such as Instagram, Facebook’s dominance in the social media world does not seem to be dwindling.
But how much do we truly know about the social media network that many of us use daily? The team at VizionOnline put together 20 of the best facts about Facebook–some of which may surprise you.
1. On average, five new profiles are created every second.
2. There are over 2.41 billion monthly active users on Facebook.
3. The commonest age demographic on Facebook is 25-34, with almost 30% of its users falling into this bracket.
4. Guilty of Facebook scrolling after lunch? Facebook reported their highest traffic levels occur between 1pm and 3pm.
5. 76% of women are Facebook users compared to 66% of men.
6. Facebook was initially founded by Mark Zuckerberg on February 4th, 2004.
7. Facebook’s first iteration was a problematic comparison site named ‘Facemash’ which gave users the chance to rank different Harvard students by “hotness.”
8. There are 3.57 degrees of separation between all of Facebook’s considerable user base. That means that your Facebook account is never more than 3.57 degrees of separation away from anyone else on Facebook.
9. The average number of “Friends” is 338. Most only consider 28% of those to be actual, real friends!
10. 2 friends and 1 photo? Questionable! There are an estimated 83 million fake profiles on Facebook.
11. 300 million images are uploaded to Facebook on average every single day.
12. Facebook employs almost 400,000 people.
13. 1.74 billion monthly active users use Facebook mobile.
14. Mobile advertising revenue accounts for 94% of Facebook’s advertising income.
15. 26.3% of the entire online population worldwide use Facebook regularly.
16. Facebook’s ‘Like’ and ‘Share’ buttons are seen across nearly 10 million websites daily.
17. Wake up, check Facebook. Around 50% of 18-24 year olds go on Facebook as soon as they wake up every day.
18. In Europe, there are over 307 million Facebook users.
19. Facebook generates 4 petabytes of data daily which is 4 million gigabytes. That’s a whole lot of data, requiring a state of the art server dedicated to processing all of those statuses, images and likes.
20. At 214.4 MILLION likes, Facebook’s main page is the site’s most popular page.
Which of these facts was your favorite? Let us know in the comments below!