Facebook has tried countless times to come up with their own version of Snapchat – first Poke, then Slingshot, and just recently, Messenger Day. Now, Facebook has created a new standalone app called Flash. Here’s everything you need to know:
How is it like Snapchat?
- Share videos and pictures with masks and filters that disappear or can be added to in-app stories.
How is it different?
- Takes up less than 25MB of space on an Android phone (1/3 of what Snapchat uses)
- Images are downloaded automatically on Wi-Fi connections only and the app has an offline mode
Who can use it?
- Available in Brazil and on Androids only
- No plans for when it will be launched in other countries.
Facebook has continuously tried to copy and surpass the popularity of Snapchat through cloned apps and have yet to crack the code of success. Only time will tell if this newest attempt will have a different outcome. Unless Facebook finds a creative spin to Snapchat’s existing app, not a carbon copy, or taps into a international market not yet dominated by Snapchat, the successful outcome of this app will be a challenge!